To celebrate the launch of her new website, Mandy Banh of the blog Mandy Banh & Mumma B. and Me has created this most delicious way of using comme.co Activate Coconut Charcoal. We also interviewed her on The Unimpossibles.. click here to read!
Sticky rice with sugar- sweetened coconut milk is a popular south- east Asian dessert, and one of my mum's favourite food groups (lol). Here, I've created a healthier version by using black rice (which is the most protein- and fibre- rich of all types of rice) instead, and sweetening with coconut sugar (which has a lower glycaemic index than cane sugar). The (good) fats contained in the coconut and sesame seeds help to reduce the dish's glycaemic index further, and a touch of comme.co's activated coconut charcoal adds a bit of drama.
BLACK RICE WITH PANDAN- INFUSED COCONUT MILK AND COMME.CO SPRINKLE
Ingredients for the black rice:
125g black rice
1 cup water
1/2 tbsp coconut oil
pinch sea salt
Ingredients for the pandan-infused coconut milk:
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/2 tbsp coconut sugar
1 pandan leaf, tied into a knot
pinch sea salt
Ingredients for the comme.co sprinkle:
1/2 tsp comme.co activated coconut charcoal
1/2 tbsp toasted white sesame seeds, lightly crushed
1 tsp coconut sugar
generous pinch sea salt
Freshly sliced mango
Sprigs of mint
- Rinse the black rice with clean water, then drain thoroughly. Transfer the rice to a small saucepan, cover with the 1 cup of water, add the 1 tbsp of coconut oil and a pinch of sea salt, then bring to a rolling boil - uncovered - over high heat.
- When boiling, cover with a tight- fitting lid, reduce the heat to low and cook for 20- 25 minutes, or until all the water has been absorbed and the rice is al dente.
- Meanwhile, prepare the pandan- infused coconut milk by placing the tbsp coconut sugar coconut milk, coconut sugar, pandan leaf and a pinch of sea salt into a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring frequently, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 8- 10 minutes. Cool, then squeeze all of the milk out of the pandan leaves, and discard. Set the milk aside until ready to serve.
- Stir together the comme.co activated coconut charcoal, toasted sesame seeds, coconut sugar and sea salt until well- combined. Set aside until ready to serve.
- To serve, divide the rice between two bowls, top with the pandan-infused coconut milk and comme.co sprinkle, and scatter with coconut flakes, mango and mint.